Sunday, November 3, 2013

New Blog Engine is Live!!!!!

Quick summary: Super fast blogs, easier to add new content, better streak handling = Happy Fish.

Tomorrow the new Blog Engine will be turned on. It was taking anywhere from 5.5 to 7 hours, depending on the day, to run the blogs. With the rewrite, it will now take about 5 minutes. A note, the Group blogs are still using an old process, so these are still taking 1-1.5 hours, so the daily "blog" status will still take a little longer.

Easier to update/add new content. The new process is table driven, so I can now insert new entries into a database. This also opens up the option to create an admin interface so I can turn over the maintenance to somebody else. Frankly, with the old process written in old ASP, I was scared to change anything but  minimal items because a mistake could break blogs. With C# .NET I can debug and make a full run in a couple minutes now which will make changes a more common occurrence.

Speaking of which, please submit your suggestions for new blog content in the forums or you may submit them to me directly.

Another important item is streak saving. The new process should pick up offline activity(there are games that just don't register right) and handle issues with playing near the cutoff. Please let me know if you see an issue by posting in the forums, sending an email to support@360voice.com or posting on my blog.

This, in combination with the polling rewrite, has been a much longer effort than I wanted it to be, but now that it is in place it will free me up to work on other pressing matters for the site.

BTW, I've made a couple improvements to the blogs already by separating the games played by platform. And expect to see some messaging in relation rolling up to the X1 launch.

No comments:

Post a Comment